Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

I don't like goodbyes, but I LOVE happy endings!

TWO DAYS until I leave this beautiful country. Sad, yes. I kind of wish I could have an extra day or two to hang out without the stress of exams. I've been so stressed out that I've had to go to the bars and discotecas the past four nights! (ha) Friday night my roomates and I stressfully tried on eighteen outfits each. Our house dynamic is so fun, it really has been excellent living with these four gals. Katie left early, so it was just us four friday night. Caryn left Sunday morning, and then there were three... We all are incredibly different, and would most likely never have met or been so close if we had gone to the same school. I love experiences like this, out of my comfort zone, meeting incredible people in the most incredible circumstances.
So Friday we all headed over to the wake boys' apartment for their last pre party bash. I brought my flip camera, and so there were pledge of allegiances, spontaneous guitar concerts, even more spontaneous dance moves, and "interviews" occurring. We traveled to Kapital that night, the door man gave me free drink vouchers por supuesto! I will truly miss this discoteca! Seven floors of fun, and they were PACKED. We all had a great time dancing on the main floor, and ended the night with the 24 hour pizza place that is only appealing at 6am. I made it home with someone else's jacket and will be giving it to Senora's African friend. I hope they aren't cold... Saturday Amylita and I walked to San Miguel market. We stopped for extra large pastries at the oldest pastry shop in Spain on the way to the market-my face, clothes, boots, and hands were covered in marshmellow cream. San Miguel market is fantastic and Amy and I had euro sushi, vino rosado, and cheese. There are food stands (sushi, croquetas, cheese, tacos,tapas, wine, desserts) and little shops. It is always crowded, and always a great time. People just float from stand to stand sampling food and wine and standing at these little tables enveloped in conversation. Lively atmosphere. Amy and I then ventured to the Christmas market in Plaza Mayor. It was pretty cheesy to be honest, and a let-down after Prague's adorable Christmas markets, but one funny aspect about Madrid's market is they sell really bright wigs and outrageous hats. SO many people buy them and wear them. of ALL ages and nationalities-not just tourists. The past two weeks there have been hundreds of people walking around with large Christmas hats, pink curly wigs, mohawk wigs, large sunglasses. It is a SITE.
Dinner with Senora was quite charming, as both of her grandchildren came to visit and decorated the tree while we were eating dinner. We sang Christmas carols, played the piano, and told Christmas stories after we were finished eating. Senora told a story about the pine tree, the tree of amor, and a pajarito. Her grandchildren were absolutely precious.
That night Stephanie's family came into town, and I was so happy to meet them. They are AMAZING people. We went to a bar and decided to go to another one, but somehow only Spencer, Stephanie's brother, and I made it to this bar, becuase Stephanie's mom and sister Jill became MIA after an unfortunate laughing incident. And so Stephanie and her papa "Mr. Madrid" went to go look for them and Spencer and I visited with our dear old friend the bartender. He remembered Stephanie's dad, Stephanie, and I from when we did our own pub crawl the last time Mr. Clark came to visit in November. Generous man. After an hour or two Spencer and I met back up with Steph and Jill and headed to Joy. It was a short lived clubbing experience. I got lost from the group first, Spencer got lost second, and I ended up walking/taxi ing home. Still a fantastic evening, minus flying onto my roomates bed in the dark while running to the restroom in the middle of the night.
Sunday was my last rastro experience, and a successful one at that. Mom, I bought you five scarves. I found a fantastic leather black jacket that makes me look much cooler than I am.
Sunday night I had dinner with Stephanie's family at a paella restaurant, La Barraca I believe was the name. The conversation was great, and the family is trying to marry me off to Spencer so I'll be a part of their family. Hilarious. We had a delicious "Baked Alaska" dessert which was like a meringue, ice cream, whipped cream combo. Apparently it was supposed to be like a melting glacier because they lit it on fire before they served it to us. Cool presentation. I like fire? After dinner Spencer, Jill, Steph and I walked to Sol, ran into Jonathon (our FANTASTIC Spanish friend) and went to a few bars. Jonathon is so stylish and wore his favorite red "trousers," a very sophisticated jacket and a scarf. European men can totally get away with wearing anything. Well, at least Jona can. Jill picked up five Colombians who came along with us. I told one of them Spencer is my future husband so he would stay more than four inches away from my face? It was a GREAT night full of dancing, stealing peoples' french fries, and jamming out to Bon Jovi, Backstreet Boys, and Spice Girls. There was a little bit of Flamenco music in there so Jona told me how to pretend like I'm picking an apple, eating it, then throwing it away! and that is the Flamenco dance. We didn't get in until about 6am again and so I just stayed in the hotel with them. Stephanie and I are quite used to sharing a tiny twin bed. Steph's mom and I grabbed coffee in the morning for everyone and today is devoted to studying for my last final. Stephanie's parents are trying to get me to go to Italy with them for Christmas! Stephanie's family are the most fantastic people, and I love seeing the sibling interaction, they all are so close, protective, and great friends. such caring, fun, and genuine people. I reallllly enjoy being around them! However, I believe my family would not be pleased if I ditched them Christmas day... I'll be back Europe!
I have my last abdominales class tonight, had my last kebab today, and will have my last cena with senora tonight as I will probably be out n about Tuesday night with Stephanie and my new family for the week. Then I leave Wednesday morning! I cannot believe this experience is coming to its end...
I do not like goodbyes. However, I do LOVE happy endings!

1 comment: